製品名Lipid Peroxidation (MDA) Assay Kit (Colorimetric/Fluorometric)
Lipid Peroxidation キット 製品一覧
サンプルの種類Urine, Plasma, Cell culture extracts, Tissue Extracts
検出感度> 0.1 nmol/well
Lipid Peroxidation (MDA) Assay Kit (Colorimetric/Fluorometric) (ab118970) provides a convenient tool for sensitive detection of malondialdehyde (MDA).
In the lipid peroxidation assay protocol, the MDA in the sample reacts with thiobarbituric acid (TBA) to generate a MDA-TBA adduct. The MDA-TBA adduct can be easily quantified colorimetrically (OD = 532 nm) or fluorometrically (Ex/Em = 532/553 nm). This assay detects MDA levels as low as 1 nmol/well colorimetrically and 0.1 nmol/well fluorometrically.
The MDA assay is also refered to as a TBARS assay.
Lipid peroxidation assay protocol summary:
- add TBA solution to samples and standards, incubate at 95ºC for 60 min, cool in ice bath for 10 min
- transfer to wells of microplate
- analyze with microplate reader
For higher sensitivity, precipitate with n-butanol, centrifuge, dry and resuspend pellet before analysis.
For an alternative MDA assay, without the heating steps required in the TBARS assay, try MDA assay ab233471.
Lipid peroxidation refers to the oxidative degradation of lipids. In this process free radicals take electrons from the lipids (generally in cell membranes), resulting in cell damage. Quantification of lipid peroxidation is essential to assess oxidative stress. Lipid peroxidation forms reactive aldehydes such as malondialdehyde (MDA) and 4-hydroxynonenal (4- HNE) as natural bi-products. Malondialdehyde (MDA) and 4-hydroxynonenal (4-HNE) are often used as markers of lipid peroxidation, and to assay for oxidative damage / oxidative stress.
Review the oxidative stress marker and assay guide, or the full metabolism assay guide to learn about more assays for metabolites, metabolic enzymes, mitochondrial function, and oxidative stress, and also how to assay metabolic function in live cells using your plate reader.
Also see the popular 4-HNE Assay Kit ab238538 as an alternative marker of lipid peroxidation and oxidative stress.
How other researchers have used Lipid Peroxidation Assay Kit ab118970
The MDA/TBARs assay kit has been used in publications in a variety of sample types, including:
- Human: serum1, hippocampal primary cell extracts2, A375 cultured cell lysates3, plasma and platelet samples4
- Mouse: neuronal cell lysates5, heart tissue extract6, plasma7, cell extracts8
- Rat: hippocampal tissue extracts9, cardiomyocyte extracts of cultured cells10, lung lysates11
- Pig: serum12
References: 1 - Shen J et al. 2018, 2 - Wang Q et al. 2019, 3 - Luo M et al. 2018, 4 - Mustafa AG et al. 2018, 5 - Murphy K et al. 2018, 6 - Guan F et al. 2019, 7 - Costa CRC et al. 2018, 8 - Eleftheriadis T et al. 2019, 9 - Malekiyan et al. 2019, 10 - Zhou Z et al. 2018, 11 - Li L et al. 2018, 12 - Lee SE and Kang KS 2019
保存方法Store at -20°C. Please refer to protocols.
内容 ラベル 100 tests BHT (100X) Purple 1 x 1ml MDA Lysis Buffer WM 1 x 25ml MDA Standard (4.17M) Yellow 1 x 100µl Phosphotungstic Acid Solution NM 1 x 12.5ml TBA NM 4 vials
関連性Lipid peroxidation refers to the oxidative degradation of lipids and is a well-defined mechanism of cellular damage. The formation of lipid peroxidation products leads to spread of free radical reactions leading to cell damage.
Hichor M et al. used the TBARS assay / MDA assay ab118970 to study the role of LXRs in the regulation of oxidative stress in peripheral nerves.They identified that in sciatic nerves in LXR knockout mice (LXRdKO), the MDA concentration was significantly increased, and that this was corrected by the treatment of mice with the anti-oxidant ROS scavenger N-acetylcysteine (NAC).
Ravarotto V et al. used Lipid Peroxidation Assay Kit ab118970 to assess oxidative stress in Fabry disease. They identified that MDA levels are higher in Fabry patients, indicating higher levels of oxidative stress.
The MDA concentration was measured in plasma from Fabry patients compared to healthy control patients. Data are shown ±SEM. *: p = 0.01.
Typical MDA standard calibration curve using colorimetric reading.
Typical MDA standard calibration curve using fluorometric reading.
Measurement of MDA in human plasma (20 µl) and rat liver lysate (10 mg).
ab118970 は 129 報の論文で使用されています。
- Haubold S et al. Effects of abomasal infusion of essential fatty acids and conjugated linoleic acid on performance and fatty acid, antioxidative, and inflammatory status in dairy cows. J Dairy Sci 103:972-991 (2020). PubMed: 31704022
- Jiao Y et al. Protective effects of hydrogen-rich saline against experimental diabetic peripheral neuropathy via activation of the mitochondrial ATP-sensitive potassium channel channels in rats. Mol Med Rep 21:282-290 (2020). PubMed: 31746358
- Yang Y et al. Nedd4 ubiquitylates VDAC2/3 to suppress erastin-induced ferroptosis in melanoma. Nat Commun 11:433 (2020). PubMed: 31974380
- Daniele S et al. The Nootropic Drug ?-Glyceryl-Phosphoryl-Ethanolamine Exerts Neuroprotective Effects in Human Hippocampal Cells. Int J Mol Sci 21:N/A (2020). PubMed: 32023864
- Phan K et al. Uncovering pathophysiological changes in frontotemporal dementia using serum lipids. Sci Rep 10:3640 (2020). PubMed: 32107421